Ever since I walked into Kashi Atlanta in 2000, and met Ganesh Giri Jaya (who signed me in to my first yoga class) I’ve been hitting the yoga mat regularly and with intention, all over the metro area. I’ve been to many different yoga studios, and to one particular “performance center” in Smyrna.
I’ve practiced many types of yoga, including “goat yoga,” once. Check the photograph above – that’s yoga instruction by Megan Kibby plus baby goats walking on your back, plus a litter of kittens. All in Megan’s yard.
It’s yoga. Make it your own, I always say.
From my many, many, many visits to Kashi Atlanta since 2000, all the way to my daily DDPY practice at home nowadays, I’ve made yoga practice and yoga instruction “my own.”
Here are my 5 favorite places for yoga instruction in Atlanta:
- King of Pops Yoga in Old Fourth Ward Park – instagrammable sunsets and sometimes 1000ish people practicing yoga in the grass
- Stillwater at Midtown Promenade – the best Iyengar yoga instruction in the Southeast. Come here if your body is broken and ask for help. Come here if you want deep clinics on many yoga poses, plus ropes, bolsters, pillows, chairs and blankets for support. Superior alignment instruction.
- Kashi Atlanta Urban Yoga Ashram in Lake Claire on McLendon – “We offer a variety of styles, with all sessions following a basic structure that includes an opening meditation/intention, flow series of physical postures or asanas, breathwork or pranayama, deep relaxation, and meditation. Yoga philosophy is integrated into all of the classes. Our basic teaching is classical yoga with its authentic spiritual depth intact.”
- Still Hot Yoga – in Decatur, on Clairmont, near the VA hospital – the nicest, cleanest, most intensive, least expensive hot yoga classes in Intown Atlanta. Superior teachers – all of them. I intend to be here at least 3 hours a week – a couple of classes, at least.
Hot yoga taught in the 26 pose Bikram method and the 113 posture Ghosh style is known to benefit humans in many ways:
- Improved Muscle Tone & Strength
- Increased Flexibility
- Improved Habitual Posture
- Increased Energy
- Fat Burning & Weight Loss
- Reduced Stress & Anxiety
- Elevated Mood and Well-Being
- Improved Sleeping
- Improved Balance and Coordination
- Improved Cholesterol and Blood Pressure
- Strengthened Immune System
- Expanded Lung Capacity
- Balanced Endocrine System
- Improved Cardiovascular Function
And number 5 on my list is the one and only, self-high fiving, shooting and jiving, good looking and always doing some healthy cooking, Diamond Dallas Page at DDP Yoga. When I grow up I want to be like him.
Watch the following video, because this story is about how yoga instruction is all about “making it your own.” Watch “The Arthur video.”
Atlanta Magazine’s “Atlanta Yoga Guide” features 4 good links to articles about instruction and classes in the city.
The AJC’s Mastering Yoga in Atlanta post is very thoughtful and comprehensive – lots of links and a good list of studios around the metro neighborhoods.
Dirty South Yoga Fest is the southeast’s premier annual festival and gathering for instructors and serious students.
Namaste’, blogosphere. The Wieloch Group is all about your wellness!